The following is not included in the cost: Tickets to/from Almaty, Visa.
The first part of the ALMATY TRAIL FESTIVAL was prepared for us by «VELOTOUR Kazakhstan» extreme bicycle touring team.
- September 29 – October 3, 2018 (Saturday – Wednesday)
- Assy Plateau
- Bartogay Reservoir
- Charyn Canyon
- Kolsay-1 and Kolsay-2 Lakes
- Kaindy Lake
- Temerlik Canyon
- Hot springs in Chundzha
- Boguty Red Mountains
- Total driving distance: 1000 km
- Total possible riding distance: 300 km over 5 days
- This distance will vary depending on the capabilities and interest of the participants
Please note! Participants have the right to stop the race at any time or to not participate at all on any day. Participants are followed by an escort car on the route. It is possible to get in the car in case of fatigue or sickness. All items that are not necessary for participants during the route are transported by escort cars.
- Technical complexity: medium.
- Physical complexity: medium.
Day 1: Start of the cycling tour.
- Locations: Turgen Gorge, Assy Plateau, Assy Observatory.
- Distance: up to 40 km
- Height gain: 500 meters
- Height loss: 1400 meters
- Terrain: plateau, 1 mountain pass
7.00 – 7.30. Gathering of participants. Loading of gear into cars. Departure from the city.
11.00 – 11.30. Arrival to Assy Plateau, Assy Observatory (the largest observatory in the territory of Kazakhstan). Lunch.
12.00 – 12.30. Start of participants in stages. The major part of the route is through a picturesque plateau – medium level of complexity. The last third includes several fords across mountain rivers and a mountain pass of above-average difficulty.
17.00 – 19.00. Arrival of participants to the camp site where we will spend the night. Organization of a temporary field camp. Dinner.
19.00 – 21.00. Watching movies about the last summer season of «VELOTOUR Kazakhstan» extreme team and «Unicycle.kz». (Videos of the tour participants are welcomed.) Spending the night in the camp in tents near a small mountain river.
Please note! The difference in temperatures in the mountains at night and in the day is very significant. It can be as low as 0°C in the pass at night. Therefore, warm clothes and a sleeping bag with a comfort rating (not survival rating!) of 0°C are obligatory.
Day 2: Assy – Bartogay Lake – Charyn Canion.
- Distance: up to 30 km
- Height gain: 700 meters
- Height loss: 1300 meters
- Terrain: plateau, 1 pass, a canyon from sedimentary rocks
8.00 – 8.30. Wake up, breakfast.
10.00 – 10.30. Start of participants in stages. Overcoming a technically difficult mountain pass: 95% of cyclists walk over it (participants have the option to pass over it by car). Then a gradual gravel downward slope to Bartogay Reservoir. About two-thirds of the way down the slope, there is a section of bumpy road with adjacent rocks from the mountain gorge. The terrain of this section changes annually, therefore it is difficult to predict the level of complexity, but it will likely be above-average difficulty.
12.00 – 13.00. Rest break at Bartogay Reservoir before arrival of all participants. Lunch.
13.00 – 14.00. Loading of cars and start to Charyn Canyon.
??.?? – ??.??. Independent descent to the Canyon. Depending on the interest, complexity levels range from below average to high. Lunch. Time to explore the surroundings.
18.00 – 18.30. Departure by car to the overnight location, Saty. Check in to guest houses.
19.00 Dinner. Sauna (if you wish).
Day 3: Kolsay lakes.
- Distance up to 30 km
- Height gain: 500 meters + 550 meters for participants with high level of skills
- Height loss: 500 meters + 550 meters for participants with high level of skills
- Terrain: mountain gorge/mountain trail
8.00 – 8.30. Breakfast.
10.00 – 10.30. Start towards Kolsai-1, located 1700 meters above the sea. The route, which is smooth but steadily rising (difficulty is medium), passes through a mountain gorge. Participants are able to pass over it in a car. We then ride a walking route to Kolsai-2, located at 2250 meters above sea-level. Only high-level riders are allowed to use unicycles on this route. The guide/mechanic and medical services will follow the group to Kolsai-2. The vehicle service stays at Kolsai-1. Participants will be given lunch-boxes to have lunches at Kolsai-2.
16.00 – 17.30. Return to Kolsai-1 and to Saty, either on unicycles or in cars.
18.00. Dinner. Bathhouse (for the ones who wish).
Day 4: Kaindy Lake / Rest day
- Distance: up to 30 km
- Height gain: 750 meters
- Height loss: 750 meters
- Terrain: mountain winding road
8.00 – 8.30. Breakfast.
9.30 – 10.00. Drive to Kaindy Lake, located 2000 meters above the sea, by car.
12.00 – 13.00 Lunch.
13.00 – 14.00. Return to Saty. Optionally, the participants can go down to Saty village either on unicycles along the serpentine (high and medium difficulty), or by escort car. It will be necessary to cross the river by fording twice.
16.00 – 16.30. Ride from Saty to the confluence of rivers Charyn and Temerlik.
19.00 –19.30. Going to Chunja (healing hot springs). Participants who wish may swim in hot springs. Return to guest houses.
Day 5: Return to Almaty.
- Distance: about 15 km
- Height gain/loss: light
- Terrain: hills
9.00 – 9.30. Breakfast.
11.00 – 12.00. Travel by car to the red mountains, Boguty.
12.00 – 13.00. Ride in the mountains (difficulty: around medium). Lunch.
14.00 – 15.00. Depart by car for Almaty.
20.00 -22.00. Arrive back at Almaty.
What’s included in the tour
- Transfer of the participant and their unicycle to the routes.
- Vehicle service during the routes.
- All fees to parks and eco-parks.
- Food and water service during the rides.
- Help from a unicycle mechanic.
- Bicycle repair kit (keys, pump, patches, spare chambers of all sizes, lubricants, repair kit for pumping the brakes and other tools and spare parts).
- A general first aid kit (bandages, peroxide, painkillers, etc.).
- Medical service on route.
- An English-Russian interpreter.
- Camping equipment: table, chairs, dishes and so on.
- Accommodation in guest houses in the villages of Saty and Chunja.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner at guest houses in Saty.
- Breakfast in Chunja.
- Rental of a two-person tent, karemat (request must be submitted in advance).
What’s not included in the tour
- Meals at a roadside cafe.
- Lunch and dinner in Chunja (one meal is about $3 or $4 per person).
- Sleeping bag.
What you must bring with you
- A unicycle.
- A helmet (and other protection means, if desired).
- An individual first-aid kit (in case of any injuries or illnesses).
- Sunblock cream.
- Water bottle or container (at least 2L).
- A windbreaker and a raincoat.
- Warm clothes.
- “Sugar rush” food for the race distance.
- A sleeping bag.
What would be nice for you to have
- A towel, a swimming suit, swimming trunks.
- A cycling backpack.
- Bug spray.
- For the first two days of the uni tour, we will ride together with cyclists who traditionally close the active riding season by participating in a mass ride along this route.
- For admission on the route, all participants must sign a waiver document to certify that they themselves bear the responsibility for their health, realize the degree of hazard when riding an extreme unicycle tour, and have no medical conditions. Organizers bear no responsibility for the life and health of participants of the festival.
- The organizers have the right to not allow a participant on the route or to remove a participant from the route and to put him/her in the escort car if his/her condition or actions are dangerous to him/her or other participants of the tour.
- Throughout all the stages, there are a lot of sharp stones and prickly plants. Please prepare your unicycle for this in advance.
The word «alma» in Kazakh means “apple.” The appearance of “alma” in the name of Almaty city is not accidental: since ancient times, wild apple trees have blossomed on the slopes of Zailiyskiy Alatau. According to local legend, the Almaty region is the ancestral home of all apples on the planet.
During the “Apple Wheel” Weekend, we will become acquainted with this apple city and introduce it to the sport of unicycling. Unicycling in Kazakhstan is at the very beginning of its emergence, and many people do not have a clue that it exists. We want to remedy this unfortunate omission! We will shake up Almaty and see what fruits will fall from the tree.
The weekend will include a riding excursion in the streets of the apple city, a conference for those who are interested in unicycling and, of course, conquering of the nearby slopes!
The Apple Wheel Weekend is perhaps the most important part of the festival for unicyclists of Kazakhstan, because its goal is to make as many people as possible aware of and interested in the world of unicycling.
- October 4-7.
October 4: Excursion in the city.
15.00 – Walking city tour with guide and an escort vehicle. Visiting cultural attractions.
16.00 – Unicycle tour of Almaty. The tour will go to interesting places to ride.
Both tours will take approximately 3-5 hours.
Please note! The walking and unicycle tours take place at the same time, so participants must choose one excursion at their discretion. Up to 60% of the locations in both routes coincide.
October 5: Downhill muni day.
10.00 – Departure to the mountains.
11.30 – «Freeride on a unicycle» workshop.
13.30 – Free time.
21.00 – Return to the city.
October 6: «Alatau Trail Fest 2018» muni race.
08.00 – Departure to the competition location.
10.30 – Gathering of participants at race start.
10.50 – Pre-start briefing for participants.
11.00 – Race start.
13.00 – End of race time.
14.30 – Departure of buses back to the city.
About the race course:
- Distance: 10+ km.
- Height gain: 500+m.
- Time limit: 2:00 hours.
- Feeding station at kilometer 5 (water, bananas, chocolate).
- The course is located 1 200 to 1 400 meters above sea level.
- The area is hilly and the distance passes through apple gardens by dirt tracks.
- The competition includes many different mountain sports, not just unicycling.
October 7: Closing of the Festival.
09.00 – Start of the city bike ride.
13.00 – Team games (basketball/uni-polo/hockey)*/ Unicycling master class for beginners
16.00 – «Unicycle as a lifestyle» conference.
17.30 – Master class for beginners.
19.00 – Unicycle demonstrations: trial, flatland, freestyle*.
More details about Alatau Trail Fest 2018
Alatau Trail Fest 2018 is the cherry on top of our festival!
This contest’s program includes trail running, MTB-race, duathlon (MTB + trailrunning), Nordic walking and (drum roll!) mountain unicycling since this year. The public association «Extremal Athletex» welcomes you to the golden autumn in Alatau mountains at the venue of «Alatau Trail Fest»!
Venue: Almaty region, Soldatskoye gorge. The center of the competition will be located in the territory of «GUNNY» tourist center.
Requirements to participants of the competition and admission conditions:
Everyone above the age of 18 that does not have any medical conditions preventing sports activities is allowed to competitions. Participants between the age of 10 and 18 can participate in the competition only in the presence of a representative and with his/her written consent provided to the panel of judges.
Each participant is obliged to:
- certify responsibility for his/her health with his/her personal signature;
- be physically prepared for competitions;
- follow the Rules of competitions in track and field athletics.
- The muni competition includes two categories: beginners and experienced riders (it is obligatory to specify the category in the application for participation).
- Categorization according to age and gender differences will be entered only if there are more than 20 participants. Final information on categories will be announced one month before the competition.
- The start of participants of different sports takes place separately, but there is no separate start for different categories in a single sport. The winner of competition in each category is determined according to the best time.
- Each participant who has completed the competition distance will receive a finisher medal. Winners and medalists of categories will receive personal certificates.
- The competition is directly held by the main panel of judges of Public Association «Extremal Athletex». A representative of «Unicycle.kz», А.V. Kechutkina, is a member of the panel of judges.
- Information on the competition, publication of rules, and route maps will be published in the process of preparation of Alatau Trail Fest 2018.
The following is included in the cost of Apple Wheel Weekend:
- Hotel accommodation on October 4-7
- Sightseeing tour
- «Freeride on a unicycle» workshop
- Transfers to locations of our events
- Registration and a starting package of a participant of Alatau Trail Fest 2018.
- Interpreter’s support at the pre-competition briefing.
The list will be published in the course of preparation of the festival.
The following is not included in the cost of Apple Wheel Weekend :
- Additional paid entertainment offered by the festival’s venues.